Saturday, November 13, 2010

Test Drive: 2007 Lexus ES350

I recently test drove an ES that was on a Lexus lot in the area. It is jet black inside and out; not the color combination that I really want, but I could learn to like it. This is a certified Lexus, which means that it has bumper-to-bumper coverage for up to six years or 100,000 miles. Not bad. There were a number of ES models on the lot that day, along with some ISs, GSs, and one LS460.

The IS is out of the question because of two glaring shortcomings: 1) it is too small inside, especially the back seat, and 2) it does not have rear air conditioning vents. I typically drive all three of my kids at the same time. Actually. it would probably be fine most of the time, since my kids are now big enough to ride in the front seat, and two kids in back and one up front would work, and, with fuel economy of 21 city, 29 highway, and 22 combined, the IS250, even though it requires premium unleaded, would be very easy to live with. The sporty driver in me also appreciates the rear drive layout, which should make for much more interesting canyon carving. However, the rear center position is cramped, to say the least. The seat itself is much narrower than the outboard positions, and the drive shaft tunnel is just a couple of inches below the seat which means even my youngest would be eating her knees. That rules out bringing a fourth passenger, such as my wife. Worst of all, the back seat leg room is virtually nonexistent, although I suppose that would be less of a problem if I were the same height as, say, Danny DeVito.

The GS350 or GS430 is a possibility since it is both roomy in the back, and it has rear a/c vents. Like the IS (with which it shares a common, but longer, chassis), it is also rear drive. However, the fuel economy for the V-8 powered GS430 gave me pause: 16 city, 23 highway, and 19 combined. The V-6 engined GS350 comes in at a more liveable 19/26/22, but either model requires premium, which adds about $4 to an 18.8 gallon tankful over the same amount of regular.

My eye was drawn to a shiny black number with a tan interior (my first color combo choice) that I thought was an ES. It turns out that it was a 2008 LS460.  Since it is way out of my price range, it is not in the running. And I could not help but be a little disappointed that I had trouble telling it apart from an ES350 of the same year. I had an LS400, a Jade Black 1993 model with a Saddle Tan interior (yeah, I bought it used). While it was conservatively styled, it looked like the substantial luxury sedan that it was. Furthermore, no one would confuse it with ES300, even though there was a clear family resemblance. The same can be said of subsequent generations of the two models, but not now. The LS is a fantastic luxury sedan, and I think it does its job better in many ways than its European competitors, but it should also look the part. This one does not.

All of which brings me back to the ES350. This one that I drove had the navigation system which also includes a backup camera. When in Reverse, the side mirrors tilt downward and the nav screen becomes a video monitor that gives a wide angle view out the back, making backups less treacherous. It is easily as quiet and luxurious and the IS and GS, and, surprisingly, it nearly matches the LS, which beat it out on content, power, and, well, luxury. The ES has all of the features that one should expect to find on a premium brand sedan: leather seats, power everything with memory, a first-rate entertainment system, and more than enough power. It is safe, comfortable, and, above all, quiet. Luxury car snobs may scoff at its being front wheel drive, like the Toyota Camry on which it is based, but there is no ignoring how it wafts its occupants down the road smoothly and silently. Also, it is not uncommon to see ES models with 200,000 or more miles on them still going strong and looking good. Toyota/Lexus reliability is nothing new, but consider this small detail: according to the Lexus salesman, the leather in most vehicles, including Camrys, has the color painted on, which is less expensive to produce, but results in its deteriorating since it cannot breathe. Lexus leather, on the other hand is treated with colored dyes that penetrate the material. Not only does it last longer, but it breathes. Take a look at a well-maintained quarter-million-mile Lexus and see if the seats have cracked paint or if the scratches match the surface.

The Lexus ES350 is a luxury sedan with few compromises. It is roomier than all but the long- wheelbase LS460 (not to mention my old LS400), is nearly as coddling, but costs about half as much. It gets the same gas mileage as the much smaller IS350, and, unlike all of the other Lexus sedans, will run on regular. 

I say let the snobs waste their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment